Lamin Saidy’s son, Modou, travelled to Aswan in Egypt with his mother on Tuesday, March 26, for his heart operation which will be carried out by Prof Magdi Yacoub at the Aswan Heart Centre in Upper Egypt.
The Chain of Hope charity is sponsoring all the medical and living costs. Modou and his mother, Mariama Sowe Saidy, will stay in accommodation at the hospital.
Phil and Joan Feller have worked hard to bring this about and have raised additional funds to help the family in its preparations for Modou’s operation. These funds have covered the cost of attending clinics and the medicines required to help Modou be as fit as possible for the operation, as well as paying for the return air fares to Aswan.
The Fellers are now raising funds to help towards the cost of the after-care that Modou will need when he and his mother return to the Gambia in about a month’s time. Phil and Joan plan to visit the Gambia after they have returned.
UPDATE 2/4/2013: We have been informed that Modou's operation has gone well today. He and his mother are receiving a lot of support from Lisa Yacoub, UK Programme Director of Chain of Hope.
UPDATE 8/4/2013 : Phil reported, after a telephone conversation with Modou, the latter is cheerful and recovering well.
UPDATE 15/4/2013: Modou is back home in the Gambia after a long journey on Saturday. His brothers and sisters were delighted to see him!
Below: Modou with Lisa Yacoub before the operation.
- July Update from Phil Feller
- The Cupboard was Bare
- A Sad Loss
- Gambia Visit November 2011
- Autumn update
- April 2011: Weeding and Building
- Chairman's Report 2010
- A Big Thankyou for Donations
- School Repainted
- Reaching Out to More
- Two Meals a Day
- Helping the GOVi School
- A Helping Hand
- Trustees visit, May 2010
- New Chairman
- Memories - a gallery
- Teacher Training
- Toy Time Gallery
- Chairman's Report 2009
- A Snowy Start to an Overland Journey
- Football Gift
- More Gifts
- Feeding programme
- Toy Day
- Preparing for an overland journey
- News from the Gambia
- Auction Success
- April visit to the School
- Fundraising for Gambian children
- Gift from Christians in Wensleydale
- A New Project
- Chairman's Report 2008
- Prescription glasses
- Time to say thank you
- New Online Donation Payment System
- Sheikh Zayed Eye Care Hospital Visits
- A thank you for Braille and audio story books
- Yarmouth Beer Raffle
- Successful Overland Journey to Deliver Equipment
- The Running Man
- World Food Prices Affect GOVI Children's Feeding Fund
- Chairman’s Report 2007
- Training Course for GOVI Bus Drivers
- Workshops for Rehabilitation Workers
- Holiday Makers Deliver Braille Machine
- Mission Accomplished
- Chairman’s Report for 2006